Chili is one of our favorite meals to eat during the fall and winter months. It is a versatile meal that taste just as good leftover. This recipe makes a lot of chili and we recommend freezing it if you have a ton of leftovers.
The recipe is similar to other traditional chili recipes with the exception of the added sweet potato. Sweet potato is packed with potassium, fiber, and vitamin A (among other vitamins).
If you plan on making the chili as directed in the recipe, I have one tip: really chop up the meat as it is browning. We have found that it makes the meal much tastier and flavorful. I use the end of a spatula and continue to break up the meat as it cooks. It is a very simple trick but I think that it makes all the difference!
VEGETARIAN OPTION: If you are interested in making this meal vegetarian, I recommend using an additional can of beans and leaving out the meat (obviously). Vegetarian meals are always a good option as meat carries endotoxins, a bacteria harbored in animal protein, that can still be present when cooked.
GLUTEN FREE: This meal IS gluten free! We strive to make our meals available to as many people as possible. Most of our recipes will be gluten free or have gluten free options.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz kidney beans
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 lbs organic ground beef
- 1 vidalia onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red bell pepper
- Begin by preparing your vegetables. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes, dice the onion and red pepper, and finely chop your garlic.
- Set your oven to 350° and, once preheated, place the sweet potato cubes onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- As the potatoes are in the oven, you can begin to brown your ground beef in a skillet. I like to do this seperate from the vegetables and then add it in once it is cooked.
- Use a large soup pot and put your olive oil in the pot and allow it to heat up. Then, add your onion and red bell peppers to the pot.
- Once the meat is cooked, add it to the pot. Add the garlic in at this time.
- At this point, the sweet potatoes can be taken out of the oven and added to the pot as well.
- Next, add the diced and crushed tomatoes to the pot and stir. Stir in the crushed red pepper and the chili powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the chili cook for at least 30 minutes.